Slow-braised beef short ribs and gravy. In an ovenproof Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown ribs in oil in batches. Add next five ingredients to drippings; cook until tender. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan.
To make the gravy, ladle most of the cooking liquid out of the slow cooker and into a saucepan. In an oven-safe Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once shimmering, sear each side of the ribs, working in batches if necessary. You can cook Slow-braised beef short ribs and gravy using 11 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Slow-braised beef short ribs and gravy
- You need 1 kg of boneless beef short ribs, trimmed.
- It’s 3 of large carrots, peeled, cut into thirds, then halved lengthwise.
- It’s 350 g of large button mushrooms, quartered.
- You need 2 tbsp of tomato paste.
- You need 1/2 cup of brandy.
- It’s 1 tbsp of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare 6 of fresh thyme sprigs.
- You need 1 of large onion, unpeeled and halved.
- It’s 4 of garlic cloves, whole and unpeeled.
- You need 4 cups of beef stock.
- It’s 1/2 of frozen sweet peas.
Place the seared ribs on a clean plate and set aside. To the now empty Dutch oven, cook the onions, until softened. Add in the garlic and heat through for a minute, then add in the red wine. Bring to the boil, then transfer to the crockpot.
Slow-braised beef short ribs and gravy instructions
- Add a splash of veg oil to a large pot on medium-high heat. Season the ribs with salt and pepper and sear them in the pot for 5 or 6 minutes until browned all over. Remove the ribs and set them aside..
- Add the carrots and mushrooms to the pot and let them cook for about 5 minutes until slightly softened and browned. Stir in the tomato paste and continue cooking another 2 minutes. If the bottom of the pot looks like it's about to burn, add a few tbsp cold water..
- Pour in the brandy and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to allow the alcohol to cook off. Return the ribs to the pot and sprinkle in the flour. Give everything a toss to coat. Add the thyme sprigs, onion, and garlic cloves, and pour in the stock. There should be enough liquid to cover the meat about 3/4 of the way up, so adjust the amount of stock accordingly. Cover, and turn the heat down to low. Simmer for about 2 1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender, stirring occasionally..
- Remove the cover and pull out the ribs, carrots, and mushrooms. Be careful, especially with the carrots, because they'll be very soft. Pour the sauce through a strainer into a large pan on medium heat. Let reduce for about 5 minutes, then return the meat and veg, and add the peas. Warm everything through for a minute or so, then serve. Goes fantastic with a mound of buttery mashed potatoes..
The gravy has a rich and savory flavor with a just touch of sweetness – thanks to the addition of dark ale in the gravy – and the flavors are incredible. Although this recipe has a long cooking time – three and a half hours – it's actually very easy to make. And, this Beef Short Ribs Gravy can be made in advance and reheated just. More Slow Cooked Meals: Slow Cooker Savory Pot Roast – Tender and delicious pot roast made in a slow cooker/crockpot with boneless beef roast, carrots, and onion in savory gravy. This recipe is a super easy dinner packed with delicious flavors that scream comfort food.